I have wanted to write about how we found out we were expecting since I started this blog- and today I've had lots of time to write, so I figured I better take advantage of it before I have my hands full of a juicy baby boy.
Everyone always asks us if getting pregnant with this little guy was "planned." I've never liked that word because to me, starting a family is such a personal thing. I know they mean well, but sometimes I feel like it takes on a negative connotation, as if to say, "if you planned to have a baby this fast, you're crazy." No, Cam and I didn't "plan" on getting pregnant right when we did, but we knew that was something that we wanted sooner rather than later. Maybe this sounds crazy, but I've had a lot of me time- meaning, I've had all the time I wanted/needed to accomplish what I wanted to accomplish. Sure, there's more I would like to have done before we got pregnant, but then again- there's always going to be something you would like to have done before moving on to any major change in your life. Obviously, it was in the plans, otherwise Heavenly Father never would have allowed this to happen at this time. I truly believe that.
I know that starting a family is one of the most important things that we can do here on earth. To be sealed in the temple and to usher in an innocent, sweet little baby is probably one of the most special opportunities we can have. Right now, the world is so against families and having children, and raising them in righteousness and quite frankly it makes me so sad! I remember reading once something an apostle said, it was along the lines of, "the moment Satan can tear apart families, or keep families from happening, is the moment we know the world will soon come to an end." I've felt pretty passionately about the importance of families during my pregnancy- I guess because now I've seen and heard a lot of people's opinions on when you should have kids, or how long you should wait after you've been married to have kids- and you know what I think? I think it's different for everyone. The Lord has His own time table, but I also know that if we are so set on doing things our way and in our own time, that we're missing out on a lot of blessings. Challenges and hard work bring about our happiest moments. I saw and felt that numerous times as a missionary. Our central roll as couples is to bring children to this earth and teach them the principles of the gospel so they can return to live with Heavenly Father again someday. I only hope and pray that I can become the mother that this little boy, and future children will need me to be. But I know that I cannot do it on my own. I'm grateful for the gospel and for this chance I've been given to become a parent and have a little understanding of what our Father in Heaven goes through on a daily basis. I honestly don't think that you are ever ready to become a parent, and there's no use waiting around for something that will never come- I'm learning it's easier to just do what you know is right, and press forward with faith.
So, back to how we found out we were expecting-
I will never forget, one late night Cameron and I were watching a movie and I was so hungry, I had to eat something but we hadn't gone grocery shopping in awhile and I was dying. So, Cam being the sweet husband that he is, whipped up some pancakes for the both of us, and even put some yummy jam on it to boot. Well, I tell you what- I've never wanted to throw up so bad in my life after I ate those jam-covered pancakes. I could not stand that jam that I used to love so much. It was right then that it hit me- I think I might be pregnant...
The next day I went to the store and bought a cheapie pregnancy test. That night I took the test and was beyond nervous, but to my surprise it was negative. So, I went another week living life and thought- "hmm, maybe you should take another test just in case.." Back to the cheap pregnancy test I went, and this time that pee stick went positive so fast I didn't even have time to set it back on the counter. Because of that, I thought surely this must be a faulty test stick. So, again, the next day I went to the store and bought another box of the same cheap test (don't ask my why I didn't try a different brand). Well, when I took a test from this second box, the first test was a dud, and the second test turned positive again way too fast. I thought for sure I was peeing on that stick too much and so it was spilling over onto the positive section and that's what was turning it to the little plus sign. Once again, I went out and bought more pregnancy tests. And guess what, this box of tests did the same thing as the other, one was a dud and the other turned positive too fast. Well, if you haven't noticed by now- I just can't seem to learn something the first time, I have to make the same mistake over and over again. So, the following day, I went to Walmart bought another pregnancy test, went into the bathroom at work, and sure enough that pee stick went straight to positive. I guess the 4th times the charm because I finally believed it. I walked back to my desk at work and could not believe it. I had no idea how I was going to hold it in so long. Cameron knew I was pregnant the first time it turned positive and he tried telling me I wasn't doing it wrong and that it wouldn't turn positive if I wasn't but like I said, I'm stubborn.
Cameron and I decided to keep it a secret from most everyone except our parents. I didn't really want to say anything too quickly just in case I had a miscarriage. It was when I was about 13 weeks that I finally told everyone at work, and only because they needed to know if I was going to be on the softball team and I wasn't sure if I was allowed to play or not being pregnant. Haha.
| This was after my very first apt- 9 weeks! So tiny! |
![]() |
| This was when I was about 12 weeks, and waiting to announce it to the world! |
After that, I announced it to the world and just about 2 weeks after our announcement, we found out that we were having a boy. I honestly thought it was going to be a girl at first because for as long as I can remember I have always dreamt about having a little girl, but then I had this feeling deep down that it was actually going to be a boy. I fought that feeling because I wanted a little girl so bad, but now that I know it's a boy- I can't imagine starting our family any other way. I've been extremely blessed during this pregnancy and never really got morning sickness. I mean, I definitely felt the nauseousness and all around crappy feeling during the first trimester, but I never threw up or spent the entire day in bed. I was able to go to work every morning with no problems. During the second trimester, I felt great and would forget that I was even pregnant. Even the third trimester hasn't been too bad- other than the sweltering heat, stretch marks, and swollen feet, I've faired pretty well. And thankfully, I've had a patient husband who will rub my feet and back whenever I need him too :)
| BABY BOY SEVIER- Due 9.9.14 |

LOVE THIS! COME ON BABY!!! We want you here! :)
ReplyDelete