Saturday, January 17, 2015

My Hair Is Everywhere

(Readers note: It only took me 6 hours to write this between baby crying, eating, crying, and pooping. I'd say that's a win.)

Although the title of this post will ultimately have nothing to do with the content, it's very true. My. hair. is. EVERYWHERE. Literally, it's in Mack's hands, in his mouth, in our clothes, in our food-yuck. Haha. There are furry, hairy, hair balls everywhere in our house, all thanks to post pregnancy hormones. Gotta love it.

No really, the reason I am writing this post is because I stumbled upon an article that left a very big impression on my mind. You can read it here if you'd like a good piece of parenting humble pie. I will admit that throughout this new trial/blessing called motherhood, I have been very narcissistic. Meaning, I often wonder when my "me" time is going to come, not realizing that the minute I decided to become a mother, I enlisted to substantially lower, no, almost diminish my "me" time. But, hey it's far more worth the payoff.

You see, when I got pregnant, my body changed, my sleep changed, everything changed. And obviously since I've had a baby, I realized my body REALLY changed, my whole life has flipped, my hair has been falling out, I'm constantly covered in spit up, yadah yadah yadah, the list goes on. And it got me thinking- why in the world do mothers have to go through so much darn change through pregnancy to welcome a bouncing baby into this world? Then it hit me a like a ton of bricks, as I'm sure it's hit a lot of you other moms- the changes you experience in pregnancy are only a small taste of the sacrifices you will make as a parent. It's all preparation. One change is always preparing you for the next. And in the case of parenthood, I believe pregnancy and children prepare you for a lifetime of selflessness. Through pregnancy, your body no longer becomes yours. You share it with another living human being who likes to keep you up at night by stabbing your ribs with their karate kicks. You're constantly at the beck and call of your body, whether you need to eat right now, or pee your pants right now! And then once you deliver that bundle of goodness, you are completely devoted to raising that precious little life.

I know I am no pro at motherhood, or pregnancy, or any of the likes, but I realized after reading that article that I want to do better at giving my family my all, and forget about me. I know it's always important to give yourself some time, but I shouldn't be so worried about when it will happen! Having children is the best reality check of where your self-o-meter is at. And my self-o-meter definitely needs some readjusting. There's so much more I'd like to add to this post, but baby duty calls, and I shan't ignore!

Besides, how can anyone think of themselves when they see a cute face like this:

  

2 comments:

  1. Love your perspective on motherhood. Mack is one lucky kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robin! I'm certainly trying haha.

    ReplyDelete