"And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ, ... and they teach all men that they should do good." -2 Nephi 33:10
In early August, our Stake was challenged by our Stake President, and Elder Bednar (an Apostle of the Lord) to read the Book of Mormon in 53 days. That meant we would have to commit to reading 10 pages each and every day. We were promised if we did so we would come closer to our Savior, have the strength to resist temptations and overcome trials, and our lives would be filled with unmeasurable blessings.
At first, I was a little overwhelmed with the challenge and wasn't quite sure if I'd be able to make it with a needy almost one-year-old, but Cameron was determined to do it and his motivation motivated me. It became a bed time ritual for Cam and I, and although it was tough in the beginning I quickly found myself wrapped up in everything I was learning and looked forward to that hour of studying each night. I won't lie, there were nights we missed, but we did our best to make up for it on other less busy nights.
During my studies, I decided to highlight each time I came across Savior, Lord, Jesus Christ, or any name He was called. It was enlightening to see that almost each page was highlighted and always referenced Jesus Christ.
I'd like to share the scripture that had the greatest impact on me this time around.
Mormon 8:38
But the part that stood out to me the most was when Mormon said:
"Why do ye not think that greater is the value of an endless happiness than that misery which never dies--because of the praise of the world?"
Is this not the world we live in? I read an article today in Forbes magazine that said according to statistics, Utah is the vainest state in the country and has been since 2007! It made me really stop and think, "am I allowing my happiness to be based on the praise of the world?" (I know it's easy to do so, especially because of social media.) Or am I basing my happiness on what the Lord thinks of me? I know I have been guilty of living "of the world at times," and after reading this I really want to be better. I want the Lord to smile when He thinks of me, and I want to bring others closer to Him.
I am grateful for the example of my Stake President. As we met together as a stake to read the final chapter of the Book of Mormon tonight, the spirit in the room was palpable. There was no denying that this quest for reading the Book of Mormon strengthened our stake and provided countless blessings to those who accepted. The promises that were made at the beginning of the challenged proved to be true. Throughout the last 53 days, I have felt a softening in my heart and a greater love for my Savior and those around me.
I want you to know I know, without a single doubt in my heart, Jesus Christ lives. And He loves us with a perfect love we will never comprehend in this life. I know Joseph Smith was a Prophet called of God to restore His true and everlasting Gospel in these latter-days. He was called to translate the Book of Mormon by the gift and power of God. And was given the Priesthood keys by God to bring all of God's ordinances to earth once again. I know that anyone who reads this with sincerity of heart will come to know of that as well. I know that we have a true and living Prophet on the earth today, Thomas S. Monson, who leads and guides us under the direction of the Savior. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the same gospel Christ taught in times of Old. I know that the Bible and the Book of Mormon work together to testify of Christ's ministry here and together teach us what we must do to return to live with our Father in Heaven one day. I know that when I strive to pray and read the scriptures each day, my heart is softened and my burdens are lightened. And with that added strength, I am able to reach outside myself and think of others. I know Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love me and they know me. Each time I read, something would touch my heart and inspire me to do better. I know that without this truth and knowledge in my life, I would not be where I am today. I know that all good things come of God and if we but turn to Him, and seek for truth, we will ALWAYS find it.
My intention with this post (if any read this) is not to boast that I read, but to encourage, motivate, inspire, challenge, and share my love for this Gospel and my testimony of its truthfulness. If you are not familiar with the teachings of the LDS Church, I would invite you to study it out. Read the Book of Mormon if you have not (despite what the world has said about it). Find out for yourself if what I have shared with you today is true. If you have ever wondered what makes me so happy, my answer is this. The Book of Mormon IS another testament of our Savior, Jesus Christ. I promise you that. This book will not only answer questions of the soul, but it WILL bring you far greater spiritual happiness than you have ever experienced in this life.
Now, it is my invitation to those of you who belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints to accept the same reading challenge. I promise that if you do, you will come closer to your Savior, you will have a greater desire to serve His children, you will be blessed in your home, marriage/relationships, and family. And you will find strength amongst your trials, and will find comfort in the spirit as it guides you through your studies.

Thanks for this Paige! You are a great example to me!
ReplyDelete